Leading with Empathy — Changing the Way You Show Up as a Leader
It’s 2020, and we are in a time of deep change — a kind of change that requires not just incremental shifts, but deep transformation where we don’t know what the end state is going to look like, both collectively, but also for each of us individually.
It’s changing the way that we need to show up as leaders and highlighting the importance of leading as whole humans with empathy and compassion for one another.
Company values come from the top, and leaders who practice empathy are leaders that teams are eager to support, teams that are willing and able to pivot, teams that want to learn and to grow, not just professionally but personally, and teams that stand together during times of crisis.
Jeremi Gorman, the Chief Business Officer at Snap Inc, joined me on Allowed to discuss the importance of practicing and leading with empathy. Jeremi leads global sales, agency partnerships, customer and business operations, platform integrity, trust and safety, and creative strategy, and is also a huge influence on people’s mindsets and the culture at Snap. She brings some great insight into leadership and how she leads with empathy, from both a corporate and a personal standpoint.
- 3:40 — Meet Jeremi Gorman who is the Chief Business Officer at Snap Inc.
- 6:07 — How Caneel and Jeremi met 20 years ago.
- 7:25 — Some of Jeremi’s amazing accomplishments throughout her life.
- 14:48 — Jeremi discusses some challenges that she still faces as a leader at a high level showing us all that there is always room to learn and to grow.
- 17:43 — Leadership is about listening and making decisions. The most important thing to do right now is to decide to listen.
- 19:24 — The inverted leadership pyramid philosophy that many companies like Snap have, allows for a special type of growth within its community and culture.
- 22:29 — The importance of being above the line as a leader and taking accountability in your leadership.
- 25:03 — Having empathy with yourself is just as important for a leader as having empathy with others.
- 33:16 — Some things Jeremi has learned about how to create a social connection within her team no matter if they are in the same room or online with social distancing.
- 35:51 — What does it mean to be an empathetic leader?
Originally published at https://caneel.com.